Monday, July 26, 2010

Baked Rice Pudding


So i decided that for my first ever blog post i would have to bake something extremely special to me, Mum's Baked Rice Pudding. *Almost* every time i visit my folks Mum has made me a Rice Pudding that is ready to be eaten on arrival. I write *almost* because last time i went home i was on a diet and decided i didn't really need rice pudding. I think thats the only time i have said No to rice pudding in the past 6 years!!!

Of course though, with this being my first attempt at making this dish, it didn't turn out anywhere near as nice as Mum's. I think the problem may have been that i used pre-cooked rice left over from last nights dinner. The recipe calls for uncooked rice. I probably should have just pressed the rice firmly into the dish. You can see in the photo of the dish that it looks a bit airy-fairy.

Anyway, here's the recipe that Mum gave me. I think she may have tweaked it a bit from the original recipe.

1.5 cups milk
2 eggs
100mL cream
2T sugar
6T white rice (I don't think it matters what white rice is used. I used Basmati)
Cinnamon sugar

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease baking dish (i used a Pyrex glass dish).
2. Whisk together eggs, milk, cream and sugar.
3. Put rice in bottom of the baking dish and cover with the milk mixture. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the top.
4. Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees. After 10 minutes turn the oven temp. down to 160 degrees and bake for a further 40 minutes.

Mum said it was important not to overcook and not to undercook this dish. Hmmmm.... Just check that the centre of the dish isn't wobbly when you take it out of the oven.

From these photos i think i need some lessons in styling my food. Hopefully this is something that will come with practice (and from drooling over plenty of Donna Hay's cookbooks).

Anyhoo, i'm not sure yet what my next blog post will be. My sister has suggested that i also become a news commentator... Unfortunately im not that interested in commentating on the political race at the moment. Boredom may get the better of me though.

I've just bought some new cupcake making equipment so i'll probably make some cupcakes towards the end of the week. I also have all the ingredients to make a chocolate brownie. Then i have my bf's Aunty coming over for dinner on Saturday night, and my bestie is coming over on Sunday to make Melting Moments and Wontons. So much food...

No comments:

Post a Comment